7/24/2005

Downtown in Chinatown



So we went to chinatown! Turned out to be Frodo, Sherwin, Mark, JJ and myself we few ..we happy few. I was disappointed with the results of our adventure photographic wise i think i did poorly, took 250 shots and after having a good look at them i found i could have done so much more with a little patience. I got there early around 6 so had a 45min wait for the guys. Instead of hanging around the train station i took a walk along my old stalking grounds of chinatown, i used to work in a little company in a little office on Sago Lane. My wanderings brought to the top floor of one of the flats there. I think it would be a good vantage point for some night shots of the city, not a common perspective that i am aware of anyway. I got some shots of my favourite buildings but nothing that stands out to me, there was no shot of the day for me yesterday, and though in this post i am putting up more pics than normal that is mainly to show wat i saw and not because i am happy with the results. The building on the left and below the buddha is one of my favourites, i love the old school wrap around balconey the 18mm wide angel came in usefull for that picture, i was suprised that i managed to get the whole thing. In preparation for the trip i had only mentally said that i wanted just one good pic of that building to be satisfied, i got the shot as as i am human i am not satisfied, next time i want to get it with some clouds and better lighting or even at night. The Sri Mariamman Hindu Temple along south bridge roads must be one of the most photographed buildings in singapor, so i took the obligatory shots. if i had patience i would spend more tiem composing the shot and adjusting the camera as it is i feel like i am a journalist in veitnam and need to keep moving before that arty fire drops on my head. Chinatown does lend itself to photography but not in the way i remember, it seems to have become more tacky and the new food stalls remind me nothing of the chinatown i remember of my early youth, i am not sure which is better but yesterday the stalls all seem to be selling the same things. i didnt dare ask the monk in the picture to pose...so i took a papparazi shot. he could be a monk on any street in the world and at any time in the past 150 years...

The building below the monk is on ann siang hill nad has always interested me, i reckon if i win the 5mil toto (as if) this will be my first purchase.
The last building is the Freemason lodge next to eh Armenian Church, if ever you have a chance to go in there go cause unless your a free mason its pretty hard to get in(though they do have the odd open house)
So that was China Town and its neighbourhood. I will go back there soon and try again. My next target is either Geylang Market or Kampung Glum and for both i have professional "tour guides", experts in the area to guide me.

SIDEBAR

These two shots it took earlier in the day.
Bee in flight and Bee on stem
Looks like this fella is wearing a furry yellow vest from the 70's







All pictures have been cropped and resized, please pardon any typos, spelling errors and any other problems you may find.