8/31/2005

Friar Pool

I sent this letter to the Franciscan Friars. I feel that as a Catholic we should stop( or i should stop) being sielnt when i see such things happening. I hope that he replies, and can give me an explantion that changes my mind about the disgusting situation they have created.


Father John-Paul Tan,

I read with surprise and sadness the article in the http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,93714,00.html website.

Firstly , I have no issue with building a grand church full of expensive wonders that the common man cannot posses, such as a Koi Pond and other such items as this is for the glorification of the lord. and i believe that no amount is to much to spend in such endeavors be it building or maintaining such a building.

My issue is with the swimming pool. I find it hard to understand the justification in having such a luxury. The issue is not of cost but of the link between the FRANCISCAN FRIARS and the common man. The common man has no such opportunity to posses such items. I would like to understand the rational for such an item being installed in the friary. As i have stated the low cost of the installation does not justify the actual installation. The priest said he could not remember the exact cost of the pool but emphasized that they 'would never think of it if we had to put in pipes and such just to build a pool’. By his statement it would seem that Friar De Cruz is saying that if a car normally cost 100k but it now only cost 80k then we should get it because we are making a large saving? In the first place is it necessary? Does it add to your mission here in Singapore? Does it better the lives of the common people?

Father Tan added that the pool aided in the 'development of the body which is important', and that priests in training at the church can use it.

As the priests live in the friary their whole lives, it was also 'planning for the future', as an amenity that they could use in old age.


By your statement, you justify the use of the pool. No one doubts the usefulness of the pool. What I question is the necessity. Nurturing the body is an important factor in life, but is there not other ways in which to do this? Such as jogging or cycling or using the public pools where people can see by example how you live. Its all well and good to wear robes and sandals and live as a symbol of the poor and express vows of poverty but to just pay lip service to such a vow is disgraceful. "Throughout his life, Francis espoused the virtues of (Christ-like) poverty and humility while promoting a closer and deeper relationship between the Church and the common man." by such a stark separation, you have with one stroke widened the relationship between yourselves and the common man.


I realize that I may be blunt, this is only because of my inability to understand the rational of the situation, maybe you an help by furnishing me with a response.
I am a catholic and a proud one at that, but sometimes these are done in the name of the Church, which makes it hard for me to justify not just to my non catholic friends but to myself, and this frustrates me no end.
I look forward to your response

Edward Simon

No comments: