12/09/2010

amistades fin, en el silencio de la indiferencia

disingenuous-lacking in frankness, candor, or sincerity; falsely or hypocritically ingenuous; insincere.

friendship-the state of being a friend; association as friends: to value a person's friendship.
a friendly relation or intimacy.
friendly feeling or disposition.

I had this friend once, well for my part this person was a friend but it seemed this person had an opinion or made judgements about me that were entirely negative. It seems that after years of having a friendship, this friend felt that they were just the object of merriment and the subject of attack. Everything from my sense of humor which this person enjoyed for many years to my judgment on what was right or wrong it seemed was negative. Yet time after time this person continued to exude the pretense of friendship while all the time harbouring hate and that is not too strong a word. Only when needed was i nice to this person, yes that's the line that sticks with me the most. Was i hurt, upset, shocked, angry, disappointed? i don't know, maybe all of the above. It made me question the very basis of what i thought was a solid friendship. Maybe this person was right? yes that is a very real possibility isn't so? the friendship obviously was not worth saving from their perspective. My wife asked me if i missed this person, and the saddest part for me was the realisation that no not really, i missed parts of it the camaraderie the shared life experiences but what else was there?
If i was all those things i was still not disingenuous. I harboured not hatred or ill intent, i held back nothing.
This one paragraph does not do justice to the whole episode, and maybe paints either one of us in a bad light but it does lead me to my point.

amistades fin, en el silencio de la indiferencia- roughly translates to friendships die amid the silence of indifference.

but friendships also die when one is disingenious.

Does it end just so? like an overly dramatic movie where the hero dies not to make a point but just because he can, no i dont think so but is it easy no its not. There must be a desire for things to grow, a sense of purpose and a willingness to bend.

There are things that are said in friendships and things that are sometimes left unsaid and the choices we make between the two can be the difference between a lifelong bond and a isnt that so and so yeah i think so i used to know him once." moment.

No comments: