9/17/2005

In search of definition

I am not sure if any of you have watched a show called "BIG FISH" it is a simple tale of a man and his life as told by himself to people around him. One of those people who is his son, the problem with the stories he told, to his son anyway they seemed to be tall tales that while entertaining were just plain lies. The son grows up and goes away only to return when told that his father is dying....the point is that in the end he finally understands that his father was telling the truht all along. The thing is when he was young he belived and trusted but as he ages the son felt that he had been living with rose tinted glasses all the while and upon removing these supposed glasses he finally saw the truth, but as we know the truth is not always what it seems. I write this because there is a line in the moving that i just cant get out of my head, it is really the line that brings the whole movie together and also in a nutshell defines alot of things,
"Men see things differently at different points in their lives". Say it out loud...think about it, makes sense doesnt it.

In my own existence i realise that the statement is true, when i was a child i belived that my father was the greatest in the world as i entered my teen and early adulthood i began to think differently i began to question and doubt things and thought well maybe this guy aint so perfect after all, last sunday was his birthday and though he celebrates in heaven he still remains strongly in my mind. I sat down to try and think "who was my father" to many people he was many different things, to his friends he was the best friend a man could have, if he had 2$ and you needed it he would go hungry and give you the money. He felt the need for everyone to have a good time and be happy, he wanted the best for his children and all his life he worked for that goal, he wanted to be a better husband and he and my mother worked hard for that too. A perfect marriage? there is no such thing from the outside looking in, but from their perspective it was perfect. Perfect father? like the movie said at different times men see things differently and these days i realize that he was the perfect father for me, he did the best he could with what he had and if one day i have children and they are able to say that of me how proud i would be.

What did my father teach me? or Should i say what did my father try to teach me cause i dont learn too well....l he always said "IF your going to do something do it well and dont do it halfway" He always said" if when you die you have had two good friends then count yourself lucky cause good friends are hard to find" He taught me from a young age to be excited by nature and wildlife, he taught me that while there is a time to be serious there is also a time to play and have fun(seems thats my focus all the time), he taught me that having a sense of humor is an important thing his friends always said he was a funny guy. My brother got all the good traits, drive, determination the ability to keep at it.knowing right from wrong .....i got a sense of humor(albeit a rather warped one) actually i dont think i didnt get any of those things its just that i dont use them..very much anyway. The most important lesson i feel he gave me is this "family and friends"(doesnt need anymore explaining does it)i wish i ws better at these two things more than anything in the world.

I know its a draggy an odd post but what the heck.

So my wish for all of you this late night or rather early morning is this, when you awake may your thoughts be of "family and friends"

1 comment:

nikki-rae said...

touching edward.(even tho im not a man)leaves a mark